Monday, November 21, 2011

The goat cheese debacle of Sunday night.

About a week ago, I caught an episode of Brunch with Bobby. Now despite my ambivalence towards the chef, his featured dish was too delectable for me to pass up. Poached eggs on top of heirloom tomatoes and goat cheese spread, supported by a toasted baguette. Pretty easy stuff, right? Wrong. I made the mistake of following the recipe precisely, which I almost never do. In most cases, following the recipe is a good thing. But then again, that assumes the recipe is correct. This particular recipe called for 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar. During the show, Bobby added the vinegar, and created a thick spread, which looked divine. When I added in the vinegar, it created a lumpy soup. Lesson learned: 1/4 cup of vinegar really means 2 tablespoons for this recipe. Soupy spread aside, the recipe was easy, and I was happy to learn I could replicate his open faced sandwich. Clearly, I had to step it up a bit, and threw in some thick cut bacon- one of the better ideas I had on Sunday.

For the record, this is a great open-faced sandwich. This is not- I repeat NOT- a good 2 slice of bread sandwich. You will loose all of the yolk if you top this sandwich. Don't loose the goods like I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment